Since we were gone for 3 weeks over the holidays, my options were pretty slim for dinner the day after we got back to New York.
The last place I wanted to go was the grocery store after being trapped in a car for 6 hours, so I needed to make up a recipe using the items I had in the house.
I usually have cream of chicken or mushroom soup lying around but this time (of course), I didn't. I got a little creative, and this is what I came up with!
It's a Crock Pot recipe which makes it super easy for the working mom, or on a lazy Saturday, or just because you don't feel like cooking an elaborate meal one night.
I think next time, I will try adding different veggies, meat, or broth flavors, just to switch it up. Let me know if you try any variations, I'd love to hear them!
Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Crock Pot
3 chicken breasts
1/2 c butter (I used "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter")
1/2 c water
1/2 c chicken broth
1 packet Italian Dressing (powder)
1 bag of frozen broccoli
1 package cream cheese (I used reduced fat)
4 cups cooked white rice
Salt and pepper to season
1. Place butter in bottom of Crock Pot and add chicken breasts on top
2. Mix chicken broth, water, and Italian dressing in a bowl and pour on top of chicken
3. Cook chicken on low for 4 hours; shred (you can either remove it from Crock Pot and return it or do it inside of Crock Pot, whatever is easier!)
4. Add cream cheese and cook another hour
5. Add frozen broccoli and rice and continue cooking for another 30 minutes, or until broccoli is cooked through.
*I cooked the rice and had it in the refrigerator prior to adding it. I found that it was less likely to stick together and get soupy if this is done.
Hope your family loves it as much as we did!
Caroline Jewel Boutique specializes in fantastic personalized items and gifts! Check them out today :)